History of Theodore, SK

From the early days the community of Theodore, SK has always been strongly agriculturally based in the production of grain, beef & pork. The first settlers in the area came from Scandinavia, Great Britain, Central Europe & the United States. The first settlers were predominantly Danish & the district became known as ‘Little Denmark’.  These pioneers came in the hopes of becoming owners of 160 acres of wooded farmland for the sum of $10.00. The Homestead Act required that they clear at least 10 acres of land each year for 3 years. If this were accomplished, a clear title of this homestead would be theirs. With primitive equipment such as a grub axe, breaking plough, & a team of oxen, this was a difficult task.

            The Theodore CPR station, one of the original ‘Pratt Designs’, a type 9 station bandwas built in 1902 at a cost of $4000. This station was listed in the CPR records as No. 6579 and was located at mile 50 on the Wynyard subdivision. The station survived a train wreck in 1956 and was used until the mid 1970’s when it was sold to the Village of Theodore for $100. It was moved from it’s original location to its present site, which was previously A.A. Brown’s garage – the location of Theodore’s first power plant.  The Ostapovich family donated the 5 lots where the station is presently located.  It has functioned over the years as a senior citizen’s drop-in centre and after being declared a municipal heritage site, it was developed into a museum in 2000. The Village of Theodore presently owns the building & its contents.

           

One June 13th, 1904 the extension of the railway brought merchants, wagon builders, harness makers & blacksmiths to the area. Early records indicate that Richard Seeman applied for a post office and requested the name of the village be Theodora, in honor of his sister. The name in transcript is Theodore. By 1910, local courier A.C. Tracy was delivering mail 12 times a week.  This was the only contact these settlers had with their homeland and the outside world.

           

The first school in Theodore was a lean-to built on Vickstrom’s home in 1893. Old photo of schoolsApproximately 8 children attended this school.  The settlers erected a log building the following year and school was held for six months during the summer due to lack of heating in the building.  The Theodore School District was incorporated in 1901.  In 1919 a brick structure was erected where the school stands today. In 1965 a new building hosted 358 students from grades 1 – 12. In 2002, the Yorkdale School Board closed the complete school. After much negotiating the facilities were set up to operated as a separate school board run by the Catholic School Board. The school was renamed the St Theodore School and continues to operated today from k – 8, serving the students of Theodore & area.

 

            sports

In 1948 the Theodore Credit Union became a reality when a group of businessmen discussed the need for a financial institution. It operated in this manner until 2004 when the membership voted to join with the Cornerstone Credit Union in Yorkton. The branch continues to operate at this time with various expanded services & remains a full service outlet.

Old Photo of Elevators

*This information was derrived from the Theodore Centennial Calendar 2007. To order a full copy of the centennial calendar, please contact Prairie Mapping Services.

Click Here to view a full text version of the history of Theodore.